Monday, May 2, 2011

Where am I going? And what to expect for the future

Well, this is the final entry in my "Intro to Principles of Security" blog. I have learned so much and my confidence has grown immensely in the field of computers and security. The class is nearing an end, and we are left with one final question- What can we expect for the future?

To provide you with some insight into the articles and videos I’d like to discuss, here are a few interesting links to the websites we have recently read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/technology/10digi.html This is about the past, present, and future of the use of passwords.
http://eyetrackingupdate.com/2010/10/21/iris-recognition-pins-passwords/ And here is another site that discusses the idea of using iris recognition in place of passwords.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120119993114813999.html And finally, here is an article that talks about technology predictions.

All of these links contain useful information and are great resources when considering the future.

After reading and watching these articles, it really has given me a lot to think about. I mean, yes I do think that computers will change, but I have never really thought into great detail about how drastic these changes were truly going to be. The 1998-2008 predictions were very amusing to read. Some predictions were very on point, while others- not so much. Which comes to prove that you can never truly predict what technology is going to be like in the future. As a Computer Information Systems major, what I have learned is that I will always continue learning in the computer field because it is always changing. Many jobs do not require much change and new knowledge constantly, but this field is different.

 And as for the passwords, I do agree that the system is absolutely flawed. A new system definitely needs to be implemented. Iris protection does seem like a unique idea, however, with every system there are flaws. Given that- we need to find the best possible protection for our online security, even if there are minor flaws. Another thing that stands out in this module is the upcoming increase of computer crime. It already seems so prominent and if we don’t come up with stronger protection, malicious hackers will defeat us.  Overall, I don’t think anyone is prepared for what is to come about in the future of technology- But as technology revolutionizes, so will we.

So what is in store for my future? Well, I look forward to graduating next year with an associate’s degree in Computer Information Systems. I will use this blog as a reference or as a link in my portfolio. I am proud of the knowledge I have obtained from this course and I plan on using the information I have learned in my career as well as in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment