In the past century, even decade, computers have communication has changed rapidly. Along with communication, is technology. Technology has changed the way we live, speak, communicate, and behave. While browsing the web, I found a video that speaks in detail of how computers and technology have such a great effect on our life. The video is shown below.
There are nine elements, or themes of digital citizenship. They tell us how to behave appropriately on the World Wide Web. All of which have an impact on our life, whether it has to do with school, work, or your personal life.
Personally, digital security is very important to me. In the past, I have been a victim of identity theft through e-commerce, had viruses on my computer such as the "Trojan Horse", and I receive countless spam emails every day. It is very important for myself and my computer that I follow important procedures when using the computer. I have recently downloaded a popular virus protection software called Norton Anti-Virus to help keep my computer safe. I have learned that it is important not to trust others in our "digital society." One statement I found interesting is the following: "In our own homes, we put locks on our doors and fire alarms in our houses to provide some level of protection. The same must be true for the digital security. We need to have virus protection, backups of data, and surge control of our equipment. As responsible citizens, we must protect our information from outside forces that might cause disruption or harm." (Nine Elements) This makes so much sense and I don't believe many digital citizens think of computers this way.

As a college student, digital literacy is probably the most important element when it comes to digital citizenship. It is very important that I am able to teach myself things online, and also find an article, picture, or web page almost immediately. It is expected that students can research assignments on the computer, and that we have a great amount of digital literacy. I think it would be very hard for someone to be successful in college without this. For example, my dad knows nothing about computers. Honestly, nothing. If were to ask him to turn the computer on he wouldn't know where to start. Though it boggles my mind, I know my father isn't the only one who doesn't know how to turn on a computer. I couldn't see my dad going to college in today's age because it is just expected that students know how to properly run technology and are very literate with computers.
As for my job, digital etiquette is extremely important. This term is sometimes called "netiquette" which refers to the way people should act online and on computers. It is very important for anyone working with computers that they are on their best behavior, particularly when it involves their job. For example, if I were to email my boss and say "$h*t! my car dnt strt, i aint comn to wrk 2day. sry", it would be extremely inappropriate and would likely get myself fired. Therefore, by following the rules of digital etiquette at my job, it would make others view me as responsible and courteous which is crucial when one is serious about their career.
It is a great idea to become familiar with these nine elements of digital citizenship, because they will help you out in the computer world. If you're using a computer, phone, other device this does effect you. So be smart about what you're doing, you never know who's watching.
References used:
http://www.digitalcitizenship.net/Nine_Elements.html
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoX9_DE5Nol4AgcejzbkF/SIG=12k7542a9/EXP=1296989439/**http%3a//www.softmaximum.com/images/free-norton-antivirus-3389.jpg
http://www.freakingnews.com/Computer-Security-Pics-29332.asp
http://english.ruvr.ru/data/222/509/1234/novgorod.jpg
http://www.nisd.net/digitalcitizen/elem_digcit/elem_etiquette/areyoua.jpg


No comments:
Post a Comment